Monday, December 12, 2016

Reflection on Mission, Values & Engagement
  1. Given what you know about the topic so far, please reflect on the heritage and values of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in the context of your own values and belief system.
I think the main thing about the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur is hallmark number two. This is honoring the dignity and sacredness of each person. I feel as if that is made well know through out the whole school. Also in the beginning when we were learning about Sister Dorthy Stang, it seemed like she lived to fulfill that hallmark as well. I myself do not identify with any religion but I think values can be shared. I to like the see the dignity and sacredness of each and every person. The sisters worked to make sure everyone had the same chances as others and they worked to make sure equality was apart of the world.
2) What opportunities have you had so far at NDNU to develop relationships that honor the dignity or sacredness of each person? Why is this important?
The orientation week was where I was able to make relationships that allowed me to honor the dignity or sacredness of each person. This is very important because it allows you to truly appreciate people in your life. If it wasn’t for orientation week, I would have never of made the friends I had made. All the friends I am friends with now are the ones I hung out with during the orientation week. I didn’t lose any of these friends and I plan to never lose them. That another reason why it is important because it allows you to keep relationships longer and stronger. These people I made my friends, I plan to keep them friends for the rest of my life. Even though we will most likely be separated at some point of our lives, we will make it work. That is what friends do.
3) During your time as a member of the NDNU campus community so far, have you been challenged to assess your own ethical positions in any way? In what ways, if any, have these ethical considerations involved issues of justice or peace? In what ways, if any, have they caused you to change the way you think about your own future career choices?
I have not had to make a decision so far that has challenged my own ethical position. It has only been one semester, so it is bound to happen eventually. If anything being here as made me want to continue my career choice though. Learning biology made me realize how much I love science and how I want to continue with it. I still want to become a pharmacist and everyday I work more and more to make that possible for myself. I have had no issues with justice and peace, unless you count the 2016 presidential election.
4) Have you, in the context of any class this first semester, had opportunities to apply classroom learning to address community or social problems? If so, did this make your classroom learning more engaging? Please explain.
For Freshman Seminar we had the Call to Action Day where we helped 5th graders enjoy their marine biology experience. It helped me learn about the value of service. The day we spent at the Marine Biology Institute was a very educational one. I learned some things I didn't know before and even did some things I never did. Before this trip I didn't know much about the wildlife in the Bay, but know I do. This really shows how even as a young adult I still have so much to learn. The children also benefited from this day. You can tell they had a lot of fun learning new things about the area. It would be fun to work with that place again. I had a lot of fun and the kids did too. Its really cool how both adults and kids were learning new things at the same time. This made class time really engaging. I really feel like we helped those kids feel more confident about themselves and they helped see life as a bigger picture. 
5) How do you personally define diversity? What have you learned so far this semester about the challenges and rewards of embracing diversity as a gift? Is embracing diversity of value to the human community?
I define diversity as a different groups of people coming together. People of different races and beliefs just coming together and embracing that diversity. I love diversity. That is that main reason I chose this school. I saw how diverse it is. I hate places that don’t have any diversity because diversity is the future. Everyone is different and everyone hold beauty. Its sad that some people can’t see that beauty but it is there. Diversity always comes with rewards. You are rewarded we just experiencing new things and being exposed to beautiful people and cultures. The human community needs diversity, without it we will fail.
6) In what ways, if any, have you had opportunities so far this semester to build a sense of community with others? Who were the “others”? Were they students? Teachers? Mentors? Coaches? NDNU staff? Were they campus partners who you met through community engagement activities?
I have made really goo friends here at NDNU. The type of friends you have for the rest of your life. They are students. I feel like I have good relationships with all my instructors as well. Each and everyone one of them gave me something I will take with me for the rest of my life. I met my friends through orientation week. Without that week I feel like things would be really different and I wouldn’t have the friends I have now. Or i could have because they all ended up living on the same floor as me. My instructors I of course met through my classes and without them I wouldn’t be the student I am now.
7) Have you had opportunites this semester to develop spiritual or ethical leadership skills in working toward a more just society? What specifically were those skills? How do you see yourself applying those skills during the remainder of your four years at NDNU and/or during your life and career after college?

I have never been a spiritual person and I don’t plan on becoming one, but spirituality interests me a great deal. All religions are so beautiful and I love learning about them and seeing what they offer. Whether or not I have ethical leadership skills, I don’t really know. I don’t really see myself as a leader. Even so, I feel like college as help me be less antisocial and I will use that skill in my professional career. Being social is a great and very needed skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment